Completing the Major


Transferring Credit

Students may satisfy a major requirement with a course taken at another institution.  Prior to enrolling in an outside course, make sure the course you plan to take articulates (ie, is equivalent to a course at UCSC or is an approved elective for your major).

NOTE: To transfer any credit, a course MUST be completed with a grade of C or better.

Taking Summer Courses?
If you are taking courses at another institution over the summer that is a prerequisite for a course you plan to take in fall, you will not be able to enroll until you have submitted your transcript to  



Have you completed all the requirements for your major?
Students are encouraged to review their academic record and use the major checklist to verify they have satisfied their major requirements prior to applying to graduate.

Applying to Graduate
Students must apply to graduate online through their MyUCSC portal.  For instructions, see the Registrar's Apply to Graduate.

NOTE: Be sure to apply for graduation for the quarter in which you will actually be finishing all your degree requirements.

Official Graduation vs Ceremonial Graduation
You have not officially graduated until you have successfully completed all the requirements necessary to have your degree conferred. [Your MyUCSC portal will indicate your degree status and instructions to verify your degree has been conferred]  Students are allowed "to walk" in the graduation ceremony prior to having graduated.  For information about your graduation ceremony, talk to your college. 

Students are issued a diploma after their degree has been awarded. Diplomas are available two to three months after the end of the term in which the degree was awarded. Diplomas are automatically mailed to the permanent address listed on MyUCSC. Permanent address may be updated on MyUCSC.

If you would like your diploma sent to the Office of the Registrar for pick up, please contact us for arrangements.

The name on your diploma will appear exactly as it does on university records. Currently enrolled students, who have had a legal name change, may change their name through the Office of the Registrar.


Replacement of a Diploma

There is only one original diploma. To request a replacement diploma, complete a Diploma Re-Order Request Form and attach a $75 check made payable to “UC Regents,” and send to the Office of the Registrar (see address below.)  All diploma reorders will have a small notation indicating the replacement.

Replacement diplomas can take anywhere from four to six weeks weeks.

Correct the Name on a Diploma

If you have graduated and have had a legal change of name you may request a replacement diploma with the new legal name. Complete a Diploma Re-Order Request Form, attach legal documentation noting the change of name and a $75 check made payable to “UC Regents,” and send to the Office of the Registrar via mail or in person. This diploma will also have a notation indicating the replacement.

You can view more information about diplomas here.

Mailing Address

Office of the Registrar
190 Hahn Student Services
1156 High Street
University of California, Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077